Sustainability is a priority for our customers and we demonstrate that we our operation is clean and ecologically sustainable. Being an organic business that priorities sustainability outcomes Hapī is well ahead with regards to the public groundswell in waste awareness. Our leadership in this area was recognised by our industry body the Restaurant Association who invited us to present a sustainable workshop in Auckland earlier this year.
What Hapī do to minimise waste in our business:
- Use reusable glass packaging for all our products
- Use compostable packaging for all our takeaway foods
- Buy in bulk including milk and all dry goods
- Work with out suppliers to minimise packaging
- Specify low packaging options when we order
- Work directly with local suppliers to create closed loop supply chains
- Return packaging to suppliers such as coffee pails and myicrogreen trays
- Replace supply chains where required if low waste option becomes available
- Make our own product where low waste options are not available
- Find uses for waste in our kitchen
- Focus on only generating waste that is recyclable or compostable
- Find for upcyclers for our waste
What Hapī do to create a safe and healthy workplace:
- We use natural cleaning products throughout the day and during packdown
- Use proper safety equipment when using toxic chemicals and ensure areas are well ventilated
- We do not use any chemical ingredients in our cooking such as MSG, artificial flavouring or colourings
- Find natural alternatives to synthetic colourings and flavourings such as beetroot juice, spiralina and turmeric
- We use organic ingredients where available
- We use free range, antibiotic free animal products
- We use GE Free ingredients (namely corn & soy. Don’t use canola)
Hapi Ora | Clean Kai
Health & Wellbeing Specialists
He kai he rongoā, he rongoā he kai. Hapi is a way of living that celebrates diversity in eating styles and we believe everything you eat should taste and feel delicious. We are a wāhine (women) driven business that works hard to support our whānau, our community and our whenua.
We grow our own fresh vegetables in a certified organic market garden on the edge of Napier.
Where we offer training, wānanga, mentorship & pastoral care & to our team.
HBCC Excellence in Sustainability 2021 & RA Outstanding Cafe of the Year 2018...
We are 100% committed to organics and promoting Kai Ātua, healing kai free-from contamination.
Gretta Carney has dedicated over 20 years to the organic sector and is passionate about healthy kai.
We opened our doors in 2015 with a vision to provide healthy kai for our community and haven't looked back since!
Articles written by us and articles written about us...
We buy in bulk, we compost our waste and we make all our own drinks and reuse the glassware!
We sell fresh vegetables, vegan cheeses, paleo-bread & ferments at our local farmers market every Sunday.
Te Matatini, F.A.W.C.!, festivals, concerts, cocktail parties, art openings, weddings & wānanga, we LOVE it all.